Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How-To Tuesday: Turning badges & buttons into magnets.

A while ago I had turned a pile of my hair ties with fabric covered buttons into magnets because I wasn't using them. Recently I acquired some badges that I wanted to do the same to and made a tutorial to go with it. This is really good if you have fabric covered buttons and/or badges you like but don't get to admire as much as you would like. Let's get started...

What you need:


A pair of wire cutters, magnets, buttons and/or badges and an adhesive (I used Selley's multi grip). I bought the magnet in an assorted pack from the craft section at my local Bunnings hardware. 

Step 1: Using the wire cutters, cut as much of the wire on the back off. 


I cut the pin off at the hinge (you could also cut the hinge off too if your magnet is small or thin) and the hook. You want to make sure that you cut off enough of the wire so once the magnet is glued on it wont scratch your fridge/white board.


Step 2: Following the directions of your adhesive glue the magnet to the back of your badge/button.

If you are using Selley's Multi grip, you need to apply the adhesive to both surfaces, wait a minute and then put the two surfaces together. I recommend leaving the magnet on the table/bench you are working on because it can get a bit fiddly trying to put the magnet down after putting the adhesive on the back of the magnet. 


Step 3: Wait for the glue/adhesive to dry.


Selley's multigrip recommends 24hrs for the glue to dry and reach maximum strength.


Step 4: Enjoy your new magnets!


Easy peasy!


If you make any of your buttons or badges into magnets, post a link to your blog or the photos in a comment below. I'd love to see the magnet love!

P xx

No comments:

Post a Comment